Disclaimer: This post is meant to be used for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal or financial advice. Links and mentions of companies in this post do not constitute an endorsement. Individual program details can also frequently change — please visit a company’s website for the most up-to-date- information on each program’s fees, market coverage, business model, and more. HomeLight always recommends doing your own research to determine which selling option is best for your situation.
We Buy Houses companies in Kansas City make all-cash offers for homes that often need some work, enabling sellers who lack the time, expertise, and money for repairs to move quickly and receive the cash proceeds from their home sooner if they need it.
Whether you are looking to leave KC for suburban amenities or to return to an office headquartered elsewhere, you may be looking to uproot on a tight timeline.
If you need to sell your Kansas City home quickly, a We Buy Houses for Cash company could be the best solution. However, before you request a cash offer, it’s important to understand how much a Kansas City house-buying company might offer for your home and weigh your options. Once you’re familiar with the process, you can opt to select a company on our list of some of the top contenders and get moving.
Working with house-buying companies in Kansas City
We Buy Houses companies in Kansas City typically promise quick, all-cash offers and ultra-fast closings, often in as few as seven days. They tend to target distressed properties in need of repairs and work with sellers who need to move ASAP.
Here’s how the process generally works:
- You request an offer and provide the company with some information about your home. Some companies may make a preliminary offer at this stage, but it’s usually subject to change once they’ve inspected your property.
- The company completes a walk-through of your property, usually within 24 to 48 hours.
- The company makes a firm offer (usually within 24 hours, sometimes on-site after the walk-through) which you can accept or decline. Most of these companies will not negotiate on price, so the offer is a take-it-or-leave-it scenario.
- If you accept the offer, you’ll both sign a contract and the closing process will begin. Some companies offer a large deposit or moving cost assistance, and a few may even pay for the home upfront.
- Closing and getting paid is quick, typically within seven days to a few weeks. This can vary by company, and sellers who work with a house-buying company often enjoy flexibility in selecting a move-out date that works for them.
Popular We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Kansas City
If these benefits of selling to a house-buying company in Kansas City sound good to you, it’s time to find a legitimate operation you can trust.
We’ve compiled some of the top companies that will pay cash for your parent’s Shirtwaist or Tudor. By selling to one of these companies, you should be able to sell your Kansas City home in as little as a week or two.
Mastiff Home Buyers
Phone number: (816) 535-0076
Locations: Kansas City and surrounding markets in Missouri and Kansas
Mastiff Home Buyers was founded when the co-owners turned their own home into their first investment property. Ever since, this trusted local company has been expanding to nearby markets across the Kansas City area, including Overland Park, Shawnee, and Raymore.
If you are looking for a personalized experience with a small local business, Mastiff calls nearby Belton, Missouri, home and specializes in KC properties. The owners, who have lived through a home fire and bankruptcy both, understand difficult situations and place their focus on people helped over properties turned.
Selling with this company means taking advantage of a dual benefit: selling with local experts who are also accredited by the Better Business Bureau, which has given this company an A+ rating.
Closing costs: Sellers pay no closing costs or fees; Mastiff Home Buyers covers them.
Reviews: Mastiff Home Buyers has been BBB accredited since June 2021. The company currently holds a 5-star Google review rating. Customer reviews for Mastiff Home Buyers speak to quick response times and friendly customer service. Reviewers convey gratitude for this company’s understanding of burdensome selling conditions, pointing to Mastiff as a standout if your circumstances are difficult.
Simple Sale (a HomeLight platform)
Contact information: homelight.com/simple
Phone: (844) 488-8455
Locations: Nationwide, including Kansas City
Simple Sale, a solution from HomeLight, is an online platform where sellers in Kansas City (and across the country) can request a cash offer for their home. Simple Sale has a network of cash buyers on its platform, and partner investors have a wide range of investment strategies, including fix-and-flip and buy-and-hold. This enables Simple Sale to provide cash offers for a wide array of properties, even those that need some or a lot of work, in different locations throughout Kansas City. With Simple Sale, you can get an all-cash offer in as few as 48 hours and sell your home in as little as 10 days, skipping the months it can take to sell the traditional way.
Closing costs: No prep costs, no agent commissions, and no fees charged by HomeLight. Individual investor fees may vary.
Reviews: Simple Sale is a HomeLight platform. HomeLight is BBB accredited with a customer review rating of 4.57 stars out of 5, and has 4.6 stars on Google based on 355 user reviews. Below you can hear about how Baohan Wu, a seller who used Simple Sale to sell his high-rise apartment, closed within three and a half weeks and what he thought of the process overall.
KC Real Estate Buyers
Phone number: (816) 895-2999
Locations: Kansas City and surrounding markets
Speed is the name of the game with KC Real Estate Buyers, which has its headquarters on the Missouri side of town. This company says it strives to deliver cash offers in a swift 24-48 hours, with payment in as few as seven days. In addition, they are willing to work with sellers who are facing foreclosure or an underwater mortgage.
This company combines speed with excellent service. Pristine Google reviews and a strong BBB rating point to positive customer service across the board.
Closing costs: Sellers pay no closing costs; KC Real Estate Buyers covers them.
Reviews: All customer reviews for KC Real Estate Buyers on Google give the company 5 stars. speak to fairness, honesty, and integrity throughout the selling process. Customers express a high level of satisfaction with the company’s professionalism and responsiveness. KC Real Estate Buyers has been BBB accredited since December 2021.
Sell It to Bob
Phone number: (816) 281-9664
Locations: Kansas City metropolitan area, as well as markets across Kansas and Missouri
Upfront about their investment business model, Sell It to Bob focuses on a customer-oriented approach that prioritizes the company’s ability to buy despite the hurdles sellers may face on the market. Junk removal, poor overall condition, or a subpar location are unlikely to slow down this buyer, which can be a relief to sellers who are looking to offload for a variety of reasons.
Keen to connect their customers with resources, this company is used to obstacles. From out-of-state owners to contentious divorces, the company website connects prospective clients with up-to-date articles addressing the unique difficulties sellers may face. They also manage expectations upfront: this company does promise cash at closing, but reminds prospective clients against expecting “a briefcase full of money at closing.” (A check or wire transfer, they clarify, will be the reality – and likely a welcome one for distressed or time-crunched sellers.)
Closing costs: Sellers pay no closing costs; Sell It to Bob covers them.
Reviews: Sell It to Bob has been BBB accredited since March 2020. The company currently holds a 4-star Google review rating. Customer reviews from both Google and the BBB website for Sell It to Bob speak to an honest and upfront approach. Customers express appreciation for this company’s patience and honesty throughout what can be a stressful process.
KC Cash Closings
Phone number: (816) 608-7935
Locations: Kansas City, Missouri area
Committed to an open and fair process, KC Cash Closings is focused on the Missouri side of the Kansas City market. Highlighting straightforward sales from walkthrough to closing, KC Cash Closings puts the property seller front and center. This company commits to answering any questions that arise throughout the process and promises a straightforward negotiation.
Closing costs: This company’s website promises a closing process “free of real estate agent fees or commissions.” It does not list specific details about closing costs or how these may be factored into their buying offer.
Reviews: KC Cash Closings has been BBB accredited since February 2022 and holds an A+ rating. The company currently holds a 5-star Google review rating. Customer reviews for KC Cash Closings on Google specifically speak to a smooth, fast and easy process.
Turnkey Property USA
Phone number: (816) 406-0044
Locations: Kansas City metropolitan area
For sellers seeking a long-standing and well-respected real estate investment company, Turnkey Property USA has been operating in the KC market for over a decade. Locally owned and family-operated, this company has a stake in building and retaining positive customer relationships.
With an emphasis on networking in the area market, Turnkey Property USA focuses on connecting with investors as much as it focuses on buying properties directly from homeowners. This connection between supply and demand likely lends to their track record for speedy closings.
Closing costs: Sellers pay no closing costs or fees; Turnkey Property USA covers them.
Reviews: Turnkey Property USA currently holds a 5-star Google review rating. Customer reviews on Google speak of kind staff who make – and keep – commitments to their clients. These reviews express consistently positive transactions with this company and its staff. Turnkey Property USA has been BBB accredited since November 2021 and holds an A- rating.
Why sell for cash in Kansas City?
There are plenty of reasons a Kansas City seller may choose to go the Cash-For-Homes route, speed and certainty being chief among them.
Compare that to the typical seven days promised by many We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Kansas City, and you can see why these companies remain popular, even though they don’t always offer top dollar.
Not every seller has months to prep, market, show, and close. Let’s look at some common reasons Kansas City sellers choose Cash-For-Homes companies over listing the traditional way.
- The home has major repair issues common in Kansas City such as foundation issues, which are prevalent in this market, especially among historic homes.
- The seller needs to move or cash in quickly due to divorce, job relocation, medical needs, financial stress, etc.
- The seller doesn’t have the means or desire to make repairs.
- The seller doesn’t want to bother prepping the home, dealing with showings, negotiating, or navigating a long sales process.
- The seller prefers the privacy of selling their home off-market to a cash buyer.
- The seller is in the foreclosure process and wants to sell the home and settle up with the lender before it’s too late.
- The seller inherited property and wants to unload it as quickly as possible.
- The seller is a landlord who has problem tenants or no longer wishes to manage a rental property.
- The homeowner is aging and moving into a care facility, prompting their family to sell the home.
- The seller is living out of state and prefers the ease of a cash sale.
If any of these sounds like you, requesting a cash offer from a We Buy Houses for Cash company might be a good starting point, though it’s not your only option, and it may not be your best move (we’ll dive into your other options in just a minute!).
Pros and cons of house-buying companies in Kansas City
By now, you’ve probably figured out that We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Kansas City are a bit of a mixed bag. You get speed and service, but you may “pay” a sizable premium for that service. Let’s walk through a few pros and cons to consider while weighing your options.
One of the biggest advantages of working with We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Kansas City is that you can sell your home “as is” with no repairs required, and they’ll buy homes in any condition.
If your home was severely damaged in a weather event, or you’ve fallen years behind on routine maintenance, you can still sell without needing to make the extensive repairs that financed buyers may require.
Here are some other pros to consider:
- Speed: You can often sell your home in as few as seven days.
- Certainty: Since the company does a pre-offer walk-through, their offer is firm and comes with few (if any) contingencies. Cash-For-Houses companies are experts at clearing roadblocks and closing deals.
- No repairs: Again, if your home is in rough shape and you don’t have the funds or the patience to make repairs, you can skip them altogether and save yourself the stress.
- Less hassle: You don’t have to deal with staging, open houses, fielding offers, negotiating with picky buyers, worrying about the appraisal, or stressing about the buyer’s financing falling through. Overall, reputable We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Kansas City offer a smooth ride from offer to close.
That all may sound pretty great to you as a seller if you’re looking to move within weeks rather than the months it might take you to list and sell your home on the market with an agent. However, there are downsides to working with Cash-For-Homes companies. Namely, they typically offer substantially below market value for your home.
When considering an offer from a We Buy Houses site, remember that these are house-buying companies, which means they’re ultimately trying to make a profit. They plan to fix up your home and either resell it or rent it out. That takes considerable time, skill, and investment.
Here are some potential downsides to weigh:
- Lower offers: Most companies follow the 70% rule, meaning they’ll offer you 70% of your home’s after-repair value (or the value that your house could sell for on the market once it’s all fixed up) minus repair costs. So the price you get for your home may be appreciably lower than what you’d get on the market.
- Inconsistent market knowledge: Not all cash home buying companies are equal. Some are more localized, have specific neighborhood knowledge, and are able to leverage that expertise into more competitive offers. Others are less knowledgeable about the specifics of your community, which could result in lowball bids.
- Not all companies are trustworthy: Some companies make extremely low offers to desperate homeowners and try to pressure you into making a quick decision. A few bad players may even engage in fraud tactics, though it’s uncommon.
- They may use pressure tactics: These companies know that homeowners looking to sell quickly are often desperate, and some do take advantage of that by using pressure tactics. You should never feel pressured to accept an offer, especially since there are plenty of We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Kansas City to choose from. If anyone makes you uncomfortable, it’s time to move on to another option.
Your home is more than a place where you make memories with family, it’s also likely your biggest asset. Sure, you want to sell quickly, but you could be leaving major money on the table if you choose to work with one of these We Buy Houses for Cash companies.
Always do your research, compare your options, and consult with a trusted advisor before accepting any offer.
Vet cash buyers and know your home’s worth
For many home sellers, We Buy Houses for Cash companies can be a solid solution to get a property sold quickly or to access cash for an expected life challenge. On the other hand, the “cash for your home” rehabbing business model has also led to what some housing advocates call predatory tactics.
The level of integrity and customer service you experience can vary, even within an established house-buying company that strives to maintain consistent business standards. This is because many We Buy Houses for Cash companies are franchises and often use independent investors or local wholesaling outfits. Your experience greatly depends on the character of the person or group making the offer.
If you are considering a cash offer, vet the company thoroughly. Check reviews, read testimonials, and research its presence and performance in the market. And, of course, read the buying agreement carefully before signing.
Before committing to a We Buy Houses for Cash company, HomeLight suggests you consult with a top agent to get a better idea of what your home might be worth if sold on the open market. Then compare cash offers to what a top agent might be able to get for your home. HomeLight can connect you with a top-performing agent in your market.
You can also use HomeLight’s free Home Value Estimator right now to get an initial ballpark estimate in less than two minutes.
Other options to sell your home quickly
Within the cash-for-homes business you’ll also encounter a particular group of companies known as iBuyers, or instant buyers.
iBuyer companies offer sellers many of the same conveniences of other house-buying operations, but they also leverage algorithmic technology, otherwise known as automated valuation models (or AVMs), to make you a near-instant offer on your home and provide a user-friendly, mostly online home sale experience.
iBuyers have only been around since the mid-2010s, but are now widely available across both Kansas and Missouri.
iBuyers offer all-cash and can close in a matter of days to a few weeks. But unlike more traditional We Buy Houses for Cash companies, iBuyers tend to look for homes in better condition and offer much closer to market value, typically in the 90% range — and sometimes more, particularly in a hot real estate market.
Sellers who may be a good fit to work with an iBuyer in Kansas City include those who prefer to skip staging and showing their home, who live in an area with somewhat similar housing, and who have a home in relatively good shape.
Listing with an agent
You want to sell your house quickly, not in 65 days. But hear us out! With many housing markets still being largely seller-friendly, many listings are flying off the market in a matter of days, especially those that are priced strategically.
Going with an agent could pay off big time. Selling on the market generally fetches the highest home price, and that’s especially true if you work with a skilled professional. Our internal transaction data at HomeLight shows that the top 5% of real estate agents sell homes for up to 10% more than average agents.
This is a big financial decision, so it may make sense to consult with a trusted real estate agent who can complete a comparative market analysis (CMA) to help you understand your home’s value and how quickly it’s likely to sell.
Your agent may even be able to connect you with cash buyers who are willing to offer closer to market value for your home.
Plus, a CMA is usually free and you’re under no obligation to list with the agent, so this may be a good tool to explore your options. Even if you end up deciding to work with a Cash-For-Homes company, at least you’ll know you’re making a sound financial decision.
Overwhelmed by finding an agent? HomeLight would be happy to connect you with a top performer in your area today.
FAQs on Kansas City house-buying companies
Are We Buy Houses for Cash companies legit or scams?
Most We Buy Houses for Cash companies are legit, and you can rest assured that this business model has been around for decades.
However, it’s always a good idea to keep an eye out for scams, or anything that just doesn’t seem right. Always thoroughly research companies ahead of time. Verify all professional licenses, check customer reviews, get a referral if possible, and vet the company on the Better Business Bureau website.
How much will We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Kansas City pay?
Most Cash-For-Homes companies follow the 70% rule, meaning they’ll offer you 70% of your home’s after-repair value, minus repair costs.
Here’s what that simple formula looks like:
(Your home’s ARV x .70) – repair costs
Now let’s take a look at a practical example. Let’s say your Kansas City War Cottage could sell for $350,000 after repairs, but it’s going to need $80,000 of work to get there.
($350,000 x .70) – $80,000 = $165,000
In this example, a Kansas City cash-for-homes company will probably offer you around $165,000 for your property.
However, different types of house-buying companies will offer varying amounts for homes. As mentioned previously, iBuyers tend to pay more like 90%-95% of market value while charging a fee for their services.
How much does selling a home to a We Buy Houses for Cash company in Kansas City cost?
Selling a home to a We Buy Houses for Cash company shouldn’t cost you any money, though you’ll likely get less overall for your home.
Since these companies are geared toward distressed homes, they tend to have zero fees, and will even cover your closing costs. That means the offer you get is the price you should walk away with. Make sure to ask about any hidden program fees that could eat into your bottom line.
How do you sell a house for cash in Kansas City?
- Research and vet house buying companies available in your area. The above list is a great place to start.
- Submit offer requests to your top few companies.
- Schedule any on-site visits.
- Field and compare offers. Choose the best option for you.
- Close in a week to 30 days and get paid (or you can often choose a later closing date, up to 90 days after receiving the offer)
We Buy Houses for Cash in Kansas City vs. top Kansas City agent
Wondering how a We Buy Houses for Cash company stacks up against working with a real estate agent? We’ve got you covered.
|Aspect of the sale||Sell to a We Buy Houses for Cash company in Kansas City||Sell with a top Realtor® in Kansas City|
|Sale timeline||7 to 30 days||65 days average; 16 to attract an offer, 49 to close the loan|
|Home preparations||None||Make necessary repairs, deep clean, declutter, landscape, stage home|
|Showings||None||10 to 25 showings average|
|Inspections / repairs||None||May need to make repairs for the buyer or renegotiate price|
|Appraisal||None||May need to lower the price if appraisal comes in low|
|Title search||Cash-for-homes companies often handle title issues||Must clear title before you can sell home|
|Financing contingency||None||Mortgaged buyers use a financing contingency that could hold up the deal if the loan doesn’t clear|
|Agent commission||None||5.8% average|
|Closing costs||None||1% to 3% of sale price on top of commission|
Example net proceeds
Let’s say your Craftsman home in Kansas City is currently worth about $300,000 and needs about $15,000 in repairs. Once the repairs are made, the home should be worth around $315,000.
|Sell to a We Buy Houses for Cash company in Kansas City||Sell with a top Realtor® in Kansas City|
|Estimated sale price||($300,000 x .70) – $15,000 = $195,000||$300,000|
|Market preparations||0||$3,000 (1% of sale price)|
|Agent commissions||0||$17,400 (5.8% of sale price)|
|Closing costs||0||$4,500 (1.5%)|
|Estimated take-home for seller||$195,000||$275,100|
Obviously, financially it’s usually in your best interest to go with a top agent, but depending on the condition of your home and any repairs needed, selling on the open market could be challenging.
- We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Kansas City can offer you a way to sell your home in as few as seven days with no repairs, showings, or hassles.
- There are many reputable cash home buying companies across Kansas City, and most sellers going this route can find a company that suits their needs.
- You could leave significant money on the table using a Cash-For-Homes company versus going with a top agent or iBuyer.
- HomeLight’s Simple Sale platform provides no-obligation all-cash offers for homes in almost any condition in Kansas City. Because the platform has partner investors with different buying parameters across the region, it can be a great starting point if you aren’t sure who would buy your home.
House buying companies can be a good alternative for Kansas City sellers in need of a quick exit from homeownership, but they’re not without drawbacks. However you choose to sell your home, it’s important to avoid making a hasty decision.
For best results, take the time to weigh your options, gather offers from multiple companies, and consider consulting with a top agent to see how easily your property could sell on the market. Whatever you decide, HomeLight would be happy to help with your real estate needs!
Header Image Source: (Daniel Thomas / Unsplash)